From 1951 until 1992, a school was again run from the Falstad building, under several names over the years.
EKNE STATE PRIMARY SCHOOL FOR THE MENTALLY IMPAIRED
In 1951 Ekne State Primary School for the Mentally Impaired opened. This was a residential school for children from all over Norway. Most of the pupils, however, came from the nearby counties of Sør-Trøndelag and Møre og Romsdal. The basis for selecting pupils was a course designed to test the children.
In May 1951 80 pupils received instruction in the Falstad building. A further 40 pupils were given technical education in a separate unit located in nearby Falstad nedre (also known as «Øvergården» or «The Upper Farm»). The vocational pupils were boys aged between 16 and 18. The aim of the education was to give the «mentally impaired» pupils the best theoretical knowledge possible.
A DIVISION INTO TWO SCHOOLS
In 1960 the school changed its name to Ekne Primary School for the Mentally Impaired. In the same year, a separate continuation and vocational school was launched. The primary school continued to use the brick building at Falstad, while Ekne State Continutation and Vocational School for Boys used the nearby buildings at the «Øvergården» («The Upper farm»).
In 1976 the institution underwent yet another name change, this time to Eknetun School. The primary school was dissolved as early as 1982, whereas the upper secondary education existed until 1992. Part of the special education continued in cooperation with another school (Røstad skole) under the name Ekne kompetansesenter or Ekne Centre of Competence. The institution was later moved to Levanger, under the name Trøndelag kompetansesenter (Trøndelag Centre of Competence).